Tao Okamoto & Liu Wen in Editorial for (US) W Magazine, July 2010

I rarely write commentaries about fashion editorials but I really have to say something about the recent development at W Magazine.

It is always exciting to see Asian models in editorial stories because they are usually more interesting than ad campaigns. But these photos below are an endemic example of the boring, lackluster stories that (US) W Magazine has been serving up for the last couple of years. I stopped my subscription to the magazine about 3 years ago when the magazine went downhill.

That said, change is in the air. All the senior editorial staff at W Magazine has been replaced (except Alex White) by Stefano Tonchi, formerly of T Magazine (NY Times Style Magazine), who took over the helm about two months ago. The first issue with Mr. Tonchi as editor-in-chief is expected to come out in August 2010. But the new W Magazine will be less fashion focus, more general issue like Vanity Fair and well, T Magazine. I don't know how I feel about it yet. Will leave my judgement until I see the August issue.

- Models: Tao Okamoto (Ford) & Liu Wen (Marilyn)
Editorial: Lunch Break
Magazine: (US) W Magazine, July 2010
Photographer: Terry Richardson
Stylist: Alex White
Hair: Jimmy Paul/Bumble and Bumble
Makeup: Diane Kendal
Manicure: Yuna Park/Streeters

Source: Awake Smile

Blog Archive